Today was Leigh’s second observation of my Unit 1/2 VCD class. I am still seeking feedback regarding student engagement and productivity as per previous post. Today was a good indication of students’ progress in this area as I spent most of the lesson working with students one-to-one. This meant that students were expected to continue with their work without close monitoring by me.
Prior to the lesson I wrote some notes on the board and reminded students what their support options were and where resources could be accessed. During the lesson I was pleased with the group’s efforts, although there were some concerns over the progress of two students who had become quietly engrossed in one another over the last couple of lessons. Unfortunately it wasn’t until the bulk of the lesson was over that I realised they had achieved very little with their time and the result following a conversation with them was that they were moved! Leigh and I spoke after the lesson and it was really useful for me to be able to debrief the context of the situation and discuss options for the future.
While I am happy with the class’s progress since my first observation with Leigh, I am conscious that we need to improve in terms of output as we move into the next phase of the assessment (digital development) which will be more technically demanding.
Thanks to Leigh for her excellent feedback so far!